Chateau de La Napoule
The castle was constructed in the 14th century by the Countess of Villeneuve. Over the centuries it was rebuilt several times. In the 19th century it was turned into a glass factory. In 1918, it was purchased by two Americans, Henry Clews Jr. and Marie Clews (1880-1959), who restored and moved into the castle, and added additional sections in their own personal style, with sculptures by Henry Clews Jr. The castle is owned by the La Napoule Art Foundation, which was founded in 1951 by Marie Clews, and serves as a cultural centre.
After Henry's death and during the second world war the castle was captured by German soldiers, Marie Claws served the soldiers by acting as the maid of the castle's staff so she could stay close to her home and the memory of her husband Henry.
Next pictures are linked with "trivago" and "Wikipedia" as we could not get in.
write a comment